Julie Rabalais Chauvin, Patent Attorney
Louisiana State Bar, 2012
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2011
University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, FL Juris Doctor Cum Laude May 2011
- Dean’s List, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Spring 2010, Spring 2011
- Florida Journal of International Law (Best Edit, December 2010)
- Book Award (Outstanding Academic Performance), International Financial Crimes, Spring 2011
- Honors, Legal Research and Writing, Fall 2008 and Appellate Advocacy, Spring 2009
- Teaching Assistant, Legal Research and Writing, Fall 2009 and Appellate Advocacy, Spring 2010
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering May 2006
Garvey, Smith & Nehrbass, Patent Attorneys, L.L.C. Metairie, LA April 2014 – present
- Patent Attorney
- Prepare and review of patent and trademark applications, office action responses, litigation pleadings, agreements, and other patent and trademark prosecution documents. Conduct prior art searches. Research patent, trademark, and copyright laws and examination manuals. Prepare letters to clients regarding strategy recommendations and upcoming deadlines.
Koeppel Traylor, L.L.C., New Orleans, LA February 2013 – April 2014
- Of Counsel
- Involved in many phases of pretrial defense litigation such as conducting fact investigation and interviewing clients, propounding discovery, preparing for depositions and independent medical examinations, developing Agreed-to-Litigation Plans and budgets for clients, arguing motions in court, performing legal research, and drafting pleadings, motions, and appellate briefs.
Loyola University College of Law, New Orleans, LA March 2012–March 2013
- Research Assistant
- Edited and compiled sources for publication in International Regulation of Finance and Investment.
U.S. Attorney’s Office, Middle District of Florida, Jacksonville, FL May – July 2010
- Student Intern for the Summer Program
- Drafted pleadings and legal memoranda on possible avenues of prosecution and performed legal research.
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA July – August 2009
- Summer Intern for Hon. Sarah S. Vance, Chief Judge
- Performed legal research, drafted opinions, and edited opinions for grammatical and citation errors.
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC August 2006 – September 2007
- Research Specialist, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care, & Immunology
- Performed several tasks such as sequencing DNA and culturing cells in vitro to more accurately understand ototoxicity in Cystic Fibrosis patients and survival of patients with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.
University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA January 2005 – August 2007
- Worked with two orthopedic surgeons to research, design, and produce prototypes of an improved total hip implant that decreases the body’s exposure to wear particles. Filed provisional patent application.
- Antine E. Stenbit, M.D., Ph.D. & Julie R. Chauvin, ARDS State of the Art Update: Making Progress, Advance For Managers of Respiratory Care, July/August 2007, at 44.
MEMBERSHIPS: Louisiana State Bar Association, New Orleans Bar Association, Jefferson Bar Association, Gulf Coast Intellectual Property Association, Scales & Ales Committee Member, UVA Club of New Orleans