Mark N. Melasky, Patent Attorney
GARVEY, SMITH, NEHRBASS & NORTH, L.L.C., PATENT ATTORNEYS
Three Lakeway Center, 3838 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 3290, Metairie, LA 70002-1767, U.S.A.
Tel.: (504) 835-2000 Fax: (504) 835-2070 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2009; Louisiana, 2012; Louisiana Federal District Courts
Garvey, Smith, Nehrbass & North, LLC
Patent Attorney, March 2015 to Present
- Prepare and review of patent and trademark applications, office action responses, litigation pleadings, agreements, and other patent and trademark prosecution documents. Conduct prior art searches. Research patent, trademark, and copyright laws and examination manuals. Prepare letters to clients regarding strategy recommendations and upcoming deadlines.
- Super Lawyers – Louisiana Rising Star 2016.
Tulane University A.B. Freeman School of Business
Adjunct Professor, Fall 2015 to Present
- Law in Marketing, undergraduate business course emphasizing intellectual property considerations for businesses in product research, development and marketing.
Nielsen, Carter & Treas, LLC, Metairie, LA
Associate, March 2014 to February 2015
- Defended Hurricane Sandy and Hurricane Isaac flood claims as national counsel for Write Your Own Flood Insurance Carriers participating in the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Served as first chair file handler, including taking depositions of plaintiffs, fact witnesses and expert witnesses; participated in status conferences, pretrial conferences, mediations, and settlement conferences; drafted disclosures, propounded and responded to discovery, and drafted dispositive motions; managed an average case load of 50 federal cases, including directly interacting with clients, working with local counsel, and supervising support staff.
- Specialized in taking depositions of engineering experts and analyzing engineering reports regarding flood damage causation.
- Super Lawyers – Louisiana Rising Star 2015.
Koeppel Traylor LLC, New Orleans, LA
Associate, October 2011 to February 2014
- Established Intellectual Property practice representing individuals and businesses in patent, trademark, copyright, and entertainment matters.
- Insurance defense litigation in cases involving engineering failures, errors and omissions, employment liability, coverage issues, and casualties.
- Drafted patent and trademark applications and responses to office actions; drafted LLC operating agreements; drafted complaints, answers and motions; managed and organized documents in response to discovery requests; attended hearings and status conferences; conducted and defended depositions.
Patterson & Sheridan, LLP, Houston, TX
Summer Associate, Summer 2010; Clerk, Summers of 2004, 2005, 2006
- Patent prosecution and patent litigation.
Emerson Electric Co. – Daniel Measurement & Control, Inc., Houston, TX
Engineering Intern, Summers of 2007, 2008
- Co-inventor of new drainage system for the Model 2000 Orifice Fitting. U.S. Patent No. 8,161,825.
- Assisted corporate attorneys and engineers on evaluating Intellectual Property issues.
Tulane University Law School, New Orleans, LA
Juris Doctor, May 2011; Certificate in Admiralty & Maritime Law
Tulane Summer Abroad 2009 – Maritime Law Program, Rhodos, Greece
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, cum laude, May 2008
Krewe of Endymion, Zumba® Fitness Instructor, festivals, barbequing